July 4, 2009

Last Chemo Done!

Three months and six days have passed and I am officially done with chemotherapy, hopefully for the rest of my life! My last treatment went by quickly, thanks to my three and a half hour nap. I was awoken by the nurses as they presented me with a cake and a congratulations song to commemorate my final treatment. I feel bad that I was so out of it that I didn't really express my gratitude to all of them. They took excellent care of me and managed to keep my dad entertained as well everytime we were there. I did thank them, walked out with a promise to visit Nancy at the front desk (Dr. K's office is right next door and I'll be needing to see him every so often for probably the rest of my life) and silently said to myself, "I hope I never see any of you ever again!"

I remember back to my first chemo session when the woman across from me received her cake and send-off song as well. I thought to myself how that will be me one day, but that day seemed so far off. 16 weeks later, I got to be that lucky girl.

I'm anticpating the achiness and numbness to set it around Monday or Tuesday. I'll be taking it easy this week, and will then be looking forward to a few consecutive weeks of feeling healthy and normal. I have an appointment coming up with my surgeon so we should be able to finalize surgery type and date.

For now, I'm just thrilled that the first part of beating cancer is over. Chemotherapy has certainly not been easy, but I know that it could have been worse too. Surgery will be no fiesta either, but it has to be better than chemo. The final treatment step is radiation, which will hopefully be a piece of cake after chemo and surgery. I'm anticipating all treatment to be over and done with sometime in October. Maybe I'll have some hair on my head by then too!

Thank you for reading about my experiences and encouraging me along the way. I'll continue to update with some of my fun summer activities I plan to get to, as well as surgery information when it's decided and arranged. Today's holiday of celebrating freedom and independence has such special meaning for me today. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Daria said...

Congrats on completing chemo ... all the best to you!

Yvonne (from TCNJ) said...

Caroline, I found your blog through Marc and have been following along. I'll have you know that I've been extra diligent with my self-exams thanks to your awakening story. Congratulations on completing chemo and I can't wait to read the post where you declare your remission...

Mikey said...

Congratulations chunk a dunk! I'm just getting to this one now. Keep going strong. I can mention all the cliches but I'll just stick to a smile - :)