June 20, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Fun...I Mean Chemo

When I was first diagnosed on February 18, 2009, I was completely devastated. The road to recovery seemed endless and I had no idea where it was leading me. I felt better once getting a treatment plan nailed down, but it still seemed so daunting, scary, and unpredictable.

But now, I can't believe I have one more chemo treatment left. When I talk to people about it, many have commented, "It may not seem like it to you, but that time seemed to go so fast." I always reply that it felt the same for me too. I think the fact that I was still working as much as possible helped to pass the two weeks of time between chemo treatments quickly. I was still maintaining a relatively constant schedule, and being at work made me forget about cancer for those few hours a day. I felt useful, responsible, and worthy. My students needed me to be their teacher, and I needed them to make me feel like a teacher that happenend to have cancer while doing her job. I hated the days I looked and felt like a cancer patient, and nothing else.

Treatment #7 was uneventful, just how I like it. I slept a good three hours thanks to the Benadryl, and had my blood pressure taken about ten times, even during my sleep. I think it's lowest was 80 something over 50 something, which was while I was napping. Leave it to me to be totally relaxed during chemo.

I'm actually looking forward to my last treatment in two weeks. It will mark the end of this first and hopefully most difficult phase of treating my cancer. Dr. K. said we'll wait about a month to do surgery, which leaves me with July to "forget" that I have cancer and just enjoy the summer. I already made a list of fun things I want to do, including visiting a friend's house in CT, going to the Bronx Zoo, seeing a Broadway play, spending time with my little nephew, going to Atlantic City, going to the beach, taking a bellydance class in NYC, and doing some more exercising (although I'll wait until surgery is over to unfreeze my gym membership). I also have some get-togethers and a wedding to attend, so I'll be keeping myself happily busy during that month!

I'll deal with surgery and radiation when the time comes, and then create a new list of fun things to do once cancer treatment is completely over and done with, which will hopefully be sometime in September. Suggestions welcome :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

party at my house? Chris and I would be happy to throw you a "coming out " bash!