May 16, 2009

A Springtime Drive

Springtime weather has finally made its way to Jersey.  The warm weather, sunshine, and flowers make me energized and eager to get to the end of the school year and the start of summer. 

One of my favorite springtime firsts is driving with the windows down.  In the past, I’ve never been able to drive with all four windows entirely down because my hair was always flapping around and getting in my face, even if it were in a ponytail.  I’d leave the windows open enough to catch the breeze but not enough to make my hair look like a bird’s nest upon arrival to my destination. 

My new (lack of) hair style, however, has allowed me to really feel what it’s like to drive with the windows all the way down.  With only the tail of my scarf swirling in the breeze, it makes it easy to really feel the wind as I cruise around.  On a particularly daring drive I chose to wear nothing on my head and felt the refreshing, exhilarating sensation of the wind while driving slightly above the speed limit on the Garden State Parkway.  As I leaned my head out the window I thought that this must be what dogs feel like when they’re in the car and sticking their heads out the window.  Since I was driving I couldn’t exactly stick my whole head out the window, but now I completely understand why dogs love doing it so much.  What a rush!

I’ve made a promise to myself now.  Every spring for the rest of my life, no matter how long or short my hair is, I will drive with the windows down, stick my head slightly out the window, and not care if my hair looks like a bird’s nest upon arrival to my destination.  I’ll just be happy that it’s back and causing me all the trouble it used to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will HAPPILY drive around with you with our heads out the window, ANY season that you like.
However, I will not be able too look as hot as you while doing it--that is your gift alone :)
XO
Lauren :)
PS. however, can we stick our tongues out, so to fully get the doggy experience :)