June 6, 2009

The Bite of the Vampire

I wasn't really bitten by a vampire, although yesterday's experience made me think I have a slight idea what it would be like if I were to be bitten by one. If Edward Cullen from Twilight or Bill Compton from True Blood happen to be reading this, I'm ready for you.

Chemo began with the usual pre-meds to prevent a reaction, but this time it was the pre-meds tha caused a problem. As my sweet, southern nurse from Louisiana was injecting the steroid, I all of a sudden became short of breath and was coughing and wheezing. While that was going on, an awful burning sensation went through my body, but since I couldn't breathe it was hard to voice the pain I felt. She immediately stopped what she was doing and the burn went away within a couple minutes. She then administered the rest of the drug nice and slowly. The other drugs that needed to be dripped in were down very slowly as well, so no further mishaps to report. I was at the Infusion Center from 8 - 2:30, but it was worth it to have a smooth treatment.

Having just seen Twilight again recently, I imagined that the burn I was feeling was the same kind of burn that humans feel when they are bitten by a vampire and undergoing the metamorphosis from human to vampire. I wasn't thinking about that while I was feeling the burn of course, but perhaps if I did I could have imagined sexy vampire Edward Cullen being the one responsible for the bite that caused the burn, which would have put a whole different spin on chemo! With two treatments left to go, I'll be sure to keep this thought in the back of my mind just in case a similar mishap takes place. As if I need a reason to think about Edward Cullen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very late but I'm finally reading Twilight. I'm a little about halfway thru. Still haven't seen the movie so if your up to watching it again once I'm doe with the book I would love it.
I love your comparisons and can't wait to get to that part.
Cookie