April 10, 2009

I'm a Superhero!

Prior to receiving my first chemo treatment, I had surgery to implant a “powerport” in my body. This port serves as the landing ground for nearly every sharp object that needs to be poked into me. This is where blood is taken from my body and drugs are injected into it.

The port is a quarter-sized, heart shaped piece of titanium about 2cm thick. It’s located on the right side of my body, near my collar bone, and looks like a little bulge under my skin. It’s usually hidden underneath clothing, but as the weather warms up and my wardrobe becomes more revealing, you just may catch a glimpse.

In order to make this powerport more interesting, I’ve convinced myself that it’s not made of titanium, it’s made of “adamantium.” For any fellow X-Men dorks (I mean fans), you know that adamantium is the fictional metal alloy that was implanted into Wolverine’s body. Get him fired up and the metal comes shooting from his knuckles and he looks like a stronger, meaner, and much more masculine version of Edward Scissorhands. Now that I have a small piece of adamantium in my own body, that makes me Wolverine’s female counterpart (and let’s face it ladies, who wouldn’t want to be Hugh Jackman’s female counterpart!). I thought I needed a superhero name, but since Wolverine and Caroline end in the same three letters, all I need to do is change the pronunciation to Caro-lean. So next time you see me, be sure not to fire me up or a knife may come protruding from my right clavicle and Wolverine and I will go all X-Men on you. You’ve been warned!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I heard Hugh Jackman is gay... not that there's anything wrong with that:)

jack said...

So what you are saying is that you have a little Wolverine inside you... nice!