April 12, 2009

Lessons in Italian Cooking

Font sizeMy second treatment took place on April 10th. There's really nothing too remarkable to report about. I showed up at 8am and chose a chair right next to the window. I sat in my sea foam-colored recliner, this time armed with various forms of entertainment provided by my wonderful friends and family, including my iPod, a laptop on loan, a portable DVD player, books, and magazines. My powerport was successfully and nearly painlessly accessed for treatment and the hours flew by!

Perhaps the most entertaining part of treatment was listening to Dad and Mary, my nurse for the day, bond over Italian cooking tips. Dad suggested the lasagna noodles that don't need to be precooked, while Mary prefers meatballs made with a combination of meats and not just beef. They debated the pros and cons of using crushed tomatoes or tomato puree when making their own sauce (the pride and joy of any Italian cook!), and by the end of treatment had swapped Easter menus as I sat there with my stomach roaring, hoping that the nasty metallic taste in my mouth (a common chemo side effect) will hold off so that I can enjoy spiral ham, stuffed shells, green bean casserole, roasted potatoes, and corn with my parents, brothers, sisters-in law, and handsome one year old nephew.

Easter Sunday will be missing the original "classy broad," my grandmother, who passed away last Friday on the 41st anniversary of her husband's funeral. She loved her family dearly and her kindness, cheerfulness, and quirkiness will be missed tremendously. Family gatherings will never be the same without Grandma's signature question whenever she was offered a drink: "You mean booze?"

Happy Easter!

No comments: