April 19, 2009

A Tribute to Ancient Greece

A few days have passed and I’ve adjusted to my new look.  I was fitted for a wig prior to losing my hair, but I’m not quite sure how I feel about it.  It’s high quality and a cute style, but it’s not exactly me.  My natural hair is dark, curly, dry, and frizzy.  With the help of numerous products and practice with tools, I’ve learned how to make my hair presentable.  It’s never perfect but always in control, while being slightly untamed at the same time.  In fact, that’s exactly how I would describe myself! 

I took home the wig right after I had my head shaved.  I wore it for a couple of hours and found that it gave me a headache.  As mentioned, I have different head scarves that I’ve been wearing to work and out in public, and I think I prefer them over the wig.  They are each multi-colored with beautiful patterns and I’ve gotten many compliments from friends, co-workers, students, and strangers.  I’ve been told I look suave, foreign, exotic, like a Greek goddess, adorable, beautiful, cute, fashionable, hot, and sophisticated.  Since the scarves are made of cotton they are extremely lightweight, very comfortable, and able to be worn all day.

For now, this is my new look. Of course I prefer the original me, but I’m having fun matching outfits to my scarves and wearing big, funky earrings and necklaces to give myself that exotic, gypsy look.  Who knows?  Maybe my ancient Greek ancestors were poor peasants who wore scarves on their heads, togas on their bodies, and worshipped the gods at the temple of Pallas Athena.  But I’m sure that underneath their scarves they had the same dark, curly, dry, frizzy hair that I look forward to taming again one day!

No comments: